Sunday 5 June 2011

On Love and True Love


I haven't been in a relationship before, nor am currently in one.
Just thought it would be interesting to give my 0.5 cents worth on this.

Honestly, much my interpretations come from observations.
Its not that many people around me are in love (openly, that is),
just bits and pieces here and there.

Another source of my interpretations, probably the most significant, is music and songs.
Love is like one of the most, if not the most, common theme in contemporary music and songs.
Its even kinda hard to find a song that doesn't touch on love...

What is LOVE?I shan't use any dictionary definitions, since it defeats the entire point...
After listening to so many ballads, I have some idea of this things (I guess).

They sing about many forms and allusions of love,
the burning flame of intense love,
the pristine sunset beach of passionate love,
the black seduction of scandalous love,
the pure white snow of innocent love.


They sing about how love can be expressed,
the sharing of joy and happiness,
the courage of braving challenges and breaking rules,
the sacrifice of one individual for the other.

I've seen some sort of influence these stuff have on people.
People trying to express their "friendship" with these "expressions".
Kinda awkward, mostly for those in the knowing (i.e. me) XP

What I feel, is that love is less of a "thing", more of a "concept".
Love differs from one individual to another.
It is impossible to distinguish and pin-point exactly what is love and what isn't.
I mean, you can't say that people who love each other must sacrifice their entire self for the other,
cos many of times there is no use or need to, so it just doesn't make sense.

I don't think love is a kind of need, cos many have survived without it.
I don't think it is a "want"/desire too, though many people take it as so, cos its a disgrace to the concept itself.

So, What exactly is LOVE?
The closest I can get is that it is a unique form of connection.
It is that invisible line that draws two individuals together.
The individuals involved might or might not know it is there, but it definitely is.
Is it predestined by fate, then? In a sense, I would say yes.
It is by chance of the slimmest kind, that two individuals who have the potential for this kind of connection meet each other,
get to know each other and finally realise that this connection called "Love" exists between them.
It is not about the sacrifices and challenges, but the intensity of this connection between them,
that might make them do "stupid" things.

Then, What is True Love?
Some people argue that true love is love that never dies
because if a love dies, it is not true love.
Can immediately see the ridiculousness in that?
My take is that there is no such thing as "True" Love.
Love is just love, as true as it is.
How can one fake a unique connection anyway?
If they can, then its probably not even love to begin with.

Ya, that's all I have to say.
For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment